I'm beginning to think that the dating world has changed for the worse. Technology and the internet will be the death of building relationships as we know it. The mystery surrounding when a 'potential' calls is now replaced by email, text messaging and myspace, the devil. The idea is simple to have a way to communicate with friends and share a glimpse into your world with pictures, surveys and blogs. It's your opportunity to be creative, learn more about your friends than ever imagined and skip the small get-to-know-you talk. You can now spend five minutes and learn things about your friends it used to take months to discover.
The problem clearly lies within the 'comments' section. At any given time you can catch up with your friends without even contacting them. Brilliant. I call it Spying and we all admittingly do it. You can have the best of both worlds if you play it smart. The problem exists when you try to play the dating game the way you've always played it. What ever happened to the concept of the follow up call and sitting around guessing what the other person was doing or thinking? All you have to do is click and the answers are all spelled out for you. I personally enjoy the "status" game. It's when one party, typically the woman, thinks she is exclusively dating a guy and changes her status to "in a relationship" while the guy keeps his as single. Cracks me up everytime. I even see couples that have been dating for months and they both list themselves as single. It confuses everyone! There needs to be slight modifications to the game.
Attempts made to hang out with multiple people and not have them know about each other is now a foreign concept. Your business is spread out there to see and your 'game' is expired. It's also serves as a mini background check. You know where they're from, who they hang out with and their potential player status. It's almost a challenge and maybe that's the appeal. In my opinion, someone needs to write a book on this. I would certainly buy it. I think my 'potential' pre-screening interview questions will now incorporate sexual preference, maritial status, age, career and myspace status...in that particular order.
Nov 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment