Feb 20, 2007

You Have No New Messages!

There's been a fair amount of buzz lately between my girlfriends and I all revolving around the same topic. I'll ask bluntly...where the hell has the notion of 'courting' a woman disappeared to?It appears to me that men are taking the easy way out. For God's sake! Grow some balls and take a lady to dinner, have her over for a movie, coffee, pick up your dry cleaning or whatever! Wine, dine and maybe you'll actually get something meaningful in return. It's really not a tough concept.

I think some guys in my younger days had the right idea. I used to get school girl giddy when a gentleman caller would show up at my doorstep with flowers or leave little notes on my mirror for me to find when least expected. These young suitors got it right and somehow now that we are older, it's taboo. Evidently, it's acceptable for friends of mine to define dating as going out with their friends and then meeting up together after midnight. I was under the impression that was a booty call, but I'm no expert. What happened to the guys that would call to see how your day was and make plans for later? The call is now replaced by the text message and respectable, independant women everywhere get excited over this most simple form of communication. Somehow, "he called to ask me out" has been lost in translation and replaced by "text message received."

We've done it to ourselves. We've allowed it to get to this point. We've been conditioned to accept this as the way is going to be. How pitiful is that? This is only going to lead me to absolute confusion when the right man comes along and decides to 'court' me. I'm going to think he's a chump. A friend told me the other day that she "takes what she can get." This whole single independant gal dating in the big city concept has its place and time. The time's expired. Overrated. Next!

No comments: