So I've been thinking a lot lately. Don't question whether or not this is a new concept. I think my inquisitive nature rebloomed after I began reading my latest bookclub selection, High Fidelity. I'm not finished yet, but I am on page 20. A girl's gotta start somewhere.
People exit your life just as quick as they enter in. I was once told you are supposed to take something from every relationship you've ever been in and learn from it. What happens if I didn't? So, I decided to write it down... more like sum it up in a couple of sentences. It's helped me gain perspective. This is totally in chronological order too just to let you know. Hope none of them see this. If I had the balls, I would show them.
1. College is not the place to bring your old hs relationship into. The world is there for your taking and it's time to explore life and its endless possibilities.
2. Timing is everything. Sometimes even the guys that are the most perfect for you get screwed over in this. You're not sure if you regret it at the time, but it's usually too late in life when you do so you don't bother. A girl needs her freedom and time to grow.
3. Be weary of perfection. I thought I found the one person that knew me better than I knew myself. They were 100% compatible with me throughout my college career. You can be easily deceived. What a shame. It's important not to lose your identity. Do what's best for you and don't lose sight of those who were and always be with there for you.
4. Don't waste your time with people that live in their own bubble world. You can't change them. They have a distorted view of what they want and how the world around them works. They will say anything to get you back once you grow into the person you want to be. Don't buy into this BS. It's not worth the hassle but it sure is fun to laugh about now. They say opposites attract. Initially, they do because you convince yourself you want something completely different than you had before. What a mistake that was!
5. Don't date someone because it's convenient. Just because you have the same friends, hang out in the same places and even live near each other, it doesn't necessarily equate to longevity. It's more like coincidence.
6. Timing and proximity makes all the difference in the world. You finally find what you're looking for, something you've search long and hard for only to realize you live in DC and they live in NY.
7. There has to be more than compatibility to make a relationship work. You finally have that perfect balance in your life... a true sense and identity of who you are. Everything seems like it would be perfect, but you can't quite put your finger on what's missing. Then, you figure it out... the fire. That feeling you're supposed to get when you see them, that ache you have inside when they're gone. You can't force it and certainly can't fake it. It's either there or it's not.
Apr 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment