Apr 30, 2007

Carbs Are The Enemy

So I'm Day 1 into my South Beach diet plan. I tried it the summer of 2005 and had perfect results, kept it off about a year until surgery and have been probably less cautious ever since. Ok, let me re-phrase... lazy, hungry and working in an environment where my boss provides his employees with a Snack Shack= The Devil.

I started out this morning ready to face what will be a difficult first three days. South Beach diet is the perfect concept. We actually discussed this in my undergrad studies and nursing school. Of course, a healthy lifestyle rather than any type of diet is the best choice of all but for some reason I can't bring myself to do that. You give up carbohydrates (CHO's) for 2 weeks, which means no juice, no fruits and certainly no alcohol.

Ok, so let's just say I am not following the alcohol thing on 3 designated occasions (Gold Cup, my best friends Grad school graduation party and some other unforseen day I'm certain to indulge.) After 2 weeks, you incorporate the good CHO's you're supposed to be eating in the first place. You never really re-introduce the crappy yet delicious simple CHO's you've learn to enjoy your whole life. Sad. I know it can be done because I've done it before and I need to look somewhat polished for Dewey Beach. I have no other options.

So, it's Monday morning and my mind is set, grocery list established and my support friend on the same page... she's just starting after Tuesday's bookclub meeting. I can't wait til then as I always find some damn excuse why I have to wait. I start with switching my regular coke (prob the WORST thing I put in my body on a daily basis) to coffee, powdered creamer and 3 Splenda. I don't know how this is zero calories but I'm happy it is. Yum! I'm busy this morning so that will only help me!

I think 5hrs into this and I might die. Hell, I've already checked my 401k online to be certain my sister is listed as my correct beneficiary. If I owned anything other than my car, I would construct a Will of some sort. My body is weak, my brain is cloudy and I can't form sentences. Did I mention I might die? Can't remember if I said that because I can't think about anything but CHO's and my profound admiration for the enemy.

Although my lunch was tasty, I'm consumed with the thought of how I'll feel in a couple hours. Like I said... just get past Wednesday and it gets easier! I have kickball tonight. What if I screw something up? I suppose I can't tell people why as I would be riduculed. This should be interesting... 24 days til Dewey!

No comments: