Ok ok, so I already posted a tid bit on Eat, Pray, Love and made it very clear I suck (a complete failure, to put it nicely) at meditation. I'm thoroughly convinced Adderall is required for any future attempts. I learned in my bookclub meeting last night that vibrating your nose helps to eliminate distractions. I may have to give this another shot and keep you posted on latest developments.
One of the points of the book we addressed was choosing one word used to describe yourself. Sounds simple, but it’s not. I can think of five words used to describe myself off the bat: Independent, Loyal, Inquisitive, Extraverted and Impassive. Umm, yeah. Basically, I'm a super social butterfly who will be there for you at the drop of a hat but doesn't open up much on her own feelings for fear it may disinterest you. So... after narrowing it down, I stuck with Inquisitive. Anyone that knows me, would agree. Try it at home, kids. It’s fun to self-reflect!
Anyhow, I decided to include an additional entry on this book as it made me think a lot about whether fate or soul mates existed. I don’t believe in fate, per say but think it’s more a series of events and choices made in life that lead you to certain people. As far as soul mates are concerned, I think my interpretation of the word was misguided. I do feel like there are people that come into your life for a reason and that reason is to help figure yourself out. I never considered that a soul mate, as I don’t think there is one person out there for me. I mean, how much would that suck if I never found them? That's a lot of pressure! Anyhow, I feel my view was clearly expressed in the following passage:
“Your problem is you don’t understand what the word means. People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that’s holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you’ll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave.”
Brilliant, really.
No comments:
Post a Comment