Jan 8, 2008

Fiddler on the Roof

I recently made a list of all the things I would do in 2008. I swear I'm not manic but my parents looked at me a little funny when informed of my decision to play the violin again. I could sense my Dad having flashbacks... probably sparked some sort of post traumatic stress disorder caused by endless living room concerts. Little did they know I was only practicing 1/4 the amount of time required. Good thing I mastered the art of signature forging on those weekly time logs. They should really thank me for that.

I used to play for several years back in grade school until forced to pick between orchestra (which apparently I didn't get the memo it was no longer cool) and gym. I was kinda nerdy looking but had it in my head to beat the whole 6th grade girl population in the mile run... so... gym it was! Over the past 17 years, I haven't once thought about picking it up again. I'm pretty sure my moment of re-birth came this past Christmas season. Our office listened to 97.1 and every day my ears burned from Mommy kissing Santa Claus...etc. I found myself emotionally stirred by Canon in D. It was then I realized my calling. I'm starting to feel a little E True Hollywood Story.... "After taking a turn for the worst, things started to look up for the young & ambitious violin player..."

Anyhow, figured it shouldn't be that hard to learn to play again. I was in choir for 7 years and can still read music. Side note: I'm pretty sure everyone that ever sang in the choir, played in marching band or was in drama club said the same thing, "Our choir/band/club was actually cool at our school." Whatever. I still jazz hand it for entertainment purposes. This will be my attempt to achieve some sort of balance between my left and right brain hemispheres. Don't judge, just go with it.

No comments: