Jan 20, 2008

ENTJ

So my new obsession is self discovery. One thing I've always known about myself is that I have to research everything about a topic that's peaked my interest. If I don't, I feel restless until I do. Sounds simple enough. So a couple weeks ago, I was sitting in a coffee shop in DC with Jenna and Rishi. We're discussing everything from past/future travel adventures to my inability to remember names to bubble baths with ex-boyfriends. (Note: Rishi's new gf was there too but I can't recall her name.) Go figure.

Everything was great until the two of them brought up the Myers-Briggs test. For once, I sat in complete silence. I could barely sit still to find what I was.
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is a personality questionnaire designed to identify certain psychological differences according to the typological theories of Carl Jung. And to think I took 4 psychology classes in college. How did I miss this? The two of them noted their predictions and I was sent on my way.

Here are the results using the test www.humanmetrics.com

ESTJ


A "true-blue friend who sticketh closer than a brother!" is the way a friend would characterize the ESTJ. Loyal and a defender. Faithful and responsible. Friendship and fun. ESTJs.

ESTJs are natural managers. They generally rise to management positions and WILL get the job done, with all due diligence and self-motivation...just the way it is wanted.

Well, all these wonderful things have been said...so what's the...er, problem? Well...it's the "NATURAL manager" bit. Well...that includes not just things, but people, too. Well...it also includes their friends. Good thing they are all those indispensable things above, 'cause they would "fry" your mind otherwise: "Here, let me take that for you; carry that for you; put that over here for you; put YOU over here for you; watch out for that big puddle; step over that loose board; here, sit here; here, take this; here, here, here. Did you do...?" Do these people think everyone else is "brain-dead"?

Yeah, they really will get the job done. Need something organized? Call 'em. Don't hesitate. T H E Y L O V E I T! Organize the office. Closets for friends. Files. Just get out of their way or you'll find yourself...well...filed! Leave them alone, go have a great day. When you get back, you'll love it and marvel. THEY ARE EFFICIENT! 

ESTJs LOVE order, tradition and, rather than undermine authority, they are apt to be the loyal enforcers of an orderly system. BUT they do like the system to be FAIR.

For they also love JUSTICE. You'll hear that a lot. You have got a formidable opponent if you are perceived as being UNFAIR - not just to them but to co-workers, members, or to the institution. They want - nay, demand - that everyone pull their weight alike. That's only fair.

ESTJs are the backbone of any community. They are the joiners, seeking to serve. Belonging is very important to them. To be "outside the circle" is totally undesirable for ESTJs. The family circle, church circle...any arena where service is a necessity is where the ESTJ thrives and desires to be. They are apt to know the family genealogy and take pride in "keeping track" of the new family additions, adding their names and vital statistics to the family heritage that other family members will have records to honour, also.

In any group, they are the "aware" ones, the ones "in-the-know" - for they do not mind telephone interruptions, unannounced visits or unexpected calls for help. Curious by nature [some would say "nosy-by-nature"], they love to know who, what, why, where. They might be able to "organize", er, help. Seriously, they will be the ones called upon when a major organization effort is needed and when a responsible, self-motivated person is absolutely required.

ESTJ Strengths


  • Generally enthusiastic, upbeat and friendly
  • Stable and dependable, they can be counted on to promote security for their families
  • Put forth a lot of effort to fulfill their duties and obligations
  • Responsible about taking care of day-to-day practical concerns around the house
  • Usually good (albeit conservative) with money
  • Not personally threatened by conflict or criticism
  • Interested in resolving conflict, rather than ignoring it
  • Take their commitments very seriously, and seek lifelong relationships
  • Able to move on after a relationship breaks up
  • Able to administer discipline when necessary

ESTJ Weaknesses


  • Tendency to believe that they are always right
  • Tendency to need to always be in charge
  • Impatient with inefficiency and sloppiness
  • Not naturally in tune with what others are feeling
  • Not naturally good at expressing their feelings and emotions
  • May inadvertantly hurt others with insensitive language
  • Tendency to be materialistic and status-conscious
  • Generally uncomfortable with change, and moving into new territories


In summary, I'm not really sure how people put up with me! Holy crap. I feel enlightened but not at all surprised on the results. And yes, as a knowledge seeker I've already taken it to the extreme and googled every page imaginable on the topic. Just love me for who I am and don't change me. Thank you and good day.

1 comment:

ellie1818 said...

I am an ESTJ - welcome to the Meyers Briggs club Nic!! I could have sworn I told you about this back at Tech - I mean I was the Psych major in the group:) When it came to muscles in the body or medicinal information - you were the go-to girl! LOL!!!