Jan 2, 2010

Now and Then... 1999 and 2009

We're entering a new decade! Gosh, so much has changed the past ten years that I felt the need to reflect even more! Cheers to 1999, 2009 and all the changes in between...

- In 1999, I was 19 years old... YIKES! * Now, I'm Thirty, Flirty and Thriving. You know it

- In 1999, I was a college kid working at Red Lobster with Jenna and Backstreets with Becky. *Now, I just text and Gchat with both of them while working my big girl job

- In 1999, I was easily reached by land line shared by four roommates. * Now, I’m easily reached by cell and text attached to my hip. What the heck is a landline?

- In 1999, ICQ was my chat of choice, AIM soon to follow. * Now, if you’re not on Gchat, well, you’re just the last to know

- In 1999, Internet was dial up and we only had one email address ending in vt.edu. * Now, Gmail is the only solution to group your listserve responses

- In 1999, you left a message on someone’s answering machine. * Now, you dial and if they don’t answer, you hang up. They saw you called. No one likes dialing in their VM to hear “call me back”

- In 1999, Ask Jeeves knew or thought it knew everything! * Now, ok ok… I’m sensing a trend… Google is the effing wave of the future

- In 1999, I wore outfits consisting of cheap fabric tops barely covering me, black sorority pants and chunky black shoes. Oh and let’s not forget the standard issue black sorority jacket. We were the shit and we definitely knew it. * Now, we wouldn’t be caught dead in any of the previously mentioned fashion faux paus choices. Black pants have been replaces with designer jeans. If they don’t cost more than $150 a pair, we don’t want them in our closets

- In 1999, I tried “at home waxing kits” for the convenience. * Now, I know better. It still hurts but at least I’m not the one pulling that shit off

- In 1999, Spring Break at Panama City Beach seemed like the coolest place to spend my travel days. * Now, I’ve upgraded my travel thoughts

- In 1999, I discovered the awesomeness of burning CDs. * Now, I can order whatever the heck music we want for a mere $.99/song

- In 1999, Miller Lite bottles at TOTS were $2.00… that is, if we actually had to pay for them. * Now, I prefer microbrews and foreign wheat beers

- In 1999, I could make $5 stretch all week. * Now, I can make $5 stretch all damn day

- In 1999, gas cost 87 cents a gallon in Blacksburg. * Now, I have no idea because my company pays for it but I know it’s not 87 cents

- In 1999, we videotaped the shows we didn't want to miss. * Now, DVR BABY!

- In 1999, I had ZERO IDEA what to do with my life. * Now, I've found my niche and look forward to whatever comes my way

1 comment:

insanemommy said...

I've been writing my "list" of differences the past 10 years... If only I could get mine posted! You're good.